Forget everything you think you know about glass sex toys.
Sure, glass up your butt might make you wince at first, but the truth is: as long as you’re buying toys made of Borosilicate or Pyrex glass (the same highly durable kind laboratories use and kitchenware is made of), from reputable manufacturers, these options are actually better for you than most plastic toys.
By the end of this guide, you’ll be kicking yourself in the butt for not investing in glass sex toys sooner.
What are Glass Sex Toys?
Glass sex toys are usually made of body-safe, non-porous, Borosilicate glass – the same kind of glass used in lab beakers. It’s highly durable and safe. It’s not your everyday glass and can withstand extreme temperatures without cracking or breaking.
This kind of glass is essential if you’re going to be using glass toys during sex.
The Benefits of Glass Sex Toys
Glass toys have an unparalleled slippery finish for a more seamless, smooth insertion, and are hypoallergenic and body-compatible.
A lot of people turn to glass toys because the temperature-adjusting surface allows for warm or cold sensations during use, as well as their compatibility with silicone lubricants. This makes them waterproof – perfect for shower play and other water play.
They’re also extremely hygienic because they’re easy to clean, wash, and sanitize, will not harbor bacteria, and they’re phthalate- and silicone-free.
Are Glass Sex Toys Safe?
Yes, glass sex toys and glass dilators are generally safe for use during anal play and are not likely to break.
“Not only is glass a safe choice for sex toys, but they do a better job when performing anal dilation exercises.
The friction glass creates against the skin is way more controlled than silicone, vinyl, PVC or ABS. This resistance helps to create strong and elastic skin, as well as optimizing the pressure being placed on the anal muscles in a sequential way.”
However, not all glass sex toys are the same and it’s important to know the differences because quality varies and these differences impact how safe they are to use. When shopping for glass sex toys, look out for borosilicate glass, tempered glass, annealed glass, and soda lime glass.
For the same reason you should do your research on reputable brands of food to eat and skincare to put on your skin, you should also be selective about what sex products and toys you’re putting inside your body.
Types of Glass Dildos
When you go shopping for a glass sex toy, you may notice varying options. So, what do the different types of glass mean? Let us help break it down for you.
- Borosilicate glass – A common material for high-quality sex toys because it’s more durable than regular glass (making it less likely to chip, crack, or shatter with regular use), it can withstand super high temperatures without cracking or melting (making it great for temperature play and easy sanitization), and it won’t leach chemicals or toxins (making it great for inserting into your body).
- Tempered glass – Also known as toughened glass, this is a type of glass that is processed in a way that increases its strength compared with normal glass.
- Soda-lime glass – Another common type of glass that is quite strong, but not as strong as borosilicate glass because it is more susceptible to shock and does not handle extreme changes in heat as well. However, it’s safe enough for everyday use in sex toys.
- Annealed glass – Annealing is a cooling process glass goes through, either in a machine or naturally, to remove residual internal stresses that can happen as they are being made, which helps strengthen the glass and make it less likely to break.
How to Use Glass Toys
Using a glass dildo is similar to any other sex toy, but with some added considerations:
- Before usage, always check your dildo for any chips, fractures, or other damage.
- If you’re using your glass dildo for temperature play, place it in the fridge or in hot water to change its temperature. Just make sure it’s not too cold (otherwise it could cause cramping), or too hot (it could cause skin burns).
- I recommend finding a silicone lube and applying copious amounts to both the glass dildo and your anus.
- Don’t be afraid to reapply throughout the session.
What To Avoid
Glass sex toys should be treated with more care than your other, more delicate sex toys made of silicone or plastic. If you drop a silicone or plastic toy, it’s probably just going to bounce around the room.
However, try to avoid dropping your glass sex toys because no matter how strong they are, there’s always a risk of scratching or chipping your toy.
If you’re into temperature play, it’s recommended that you gradually heat your glass sex toys, and make sure you’re not making them too hot and then inserting them into your or your partner’s body. No one wants third-degree burns! On the other end of the spectrum, too cold can cause cramping.
Regardless of the material your sex toys are made of, if you’re sharing with others, it’s important that you thoroughly clean off the toy in between uses, or slip on a new condom each time if cleaning isn’t an option.
How to Choose Safe Glass Dilators & Sex Toys
In Conclusion, Glass Sex Toys are Safe and Fun
Glass sex toys provide a unique sensation and are highly recommended for pleasure. They’re compatible with a wide range of lubricants, they’re super smooth and work the skin in ways that other materials cannot, are easy to clean and sanitize, and allow for temperature play, among many other benefits.
Future Method's Glass Anal Dilator Set checks off all these boxes, in addition to being designed with anatomy and expert knowledge in mind – so be sure to check it out!